I wanted the ability to bring up Wireshark and then start taking packet captures with my wlanpi from my Mac. I didn’t want to always have to sacrifice wireless connection while I was doing it. Since most recent Macs lack a dedicated ethernet interface and I don’t always have a dongle around with me. My requirements were though to keep everything as stock as possible so that all I would have to do is hook the wlanpi up to my machine ensure that it was running and then be able to take wireless packet captures.
I copied over my public key to the wlanpi under the default address. I wanted it to be as simple as possible and why mess with the generic user: ssh-copy-id -i ~/.ssh/id_rsa.pub firstname.lastname@example.org
By following and using this wonderful github project from Adrian Granados there are only a few modifications that need to be made.
When you are doing this part of his setup, the username will be wlanpi.
$ sudo groupadd pcap
$ sudo usermod -a -G pcap wlanpi
$ sudo chgrp pcap /usr/sbin/tcpdump
$ sudo chmod 750 /usr/sbin/tcpdump
$ sudo setcap cap_net_raw,cap_net_admin=eip /usr/sbin/tcpdump
servername is going to be wlanpi.local
username is going to be wlanpi
This is the tricky part you need to specify your private key in the config, but you can’t browse to your .ssh directory by default. So when you click on the … and it brings up the directory window you will do a “Command + Shift +G” and then in the search field type ~/.ssh
On 9/2/20 was the 75th Anniversary of the VJ Day Flyover. They flew the WW2 planes over Souther California. Since I was working from home and was able to take calls from my car I went to the Chino Airport to stake out a spot to catch the planes as they flew over. It took a while, but I was able to get a couple of shots, I really hoped they were going to land, but they just flew over on their way back home. I shot the planes with my Sony A9II and the 100-400 lens. F16 at 1/320 ISO 100
Continuing to get up close and personal with those that share my backyard with me. Don’t think I can get much closer without losing most of them. I had to manually focus on a stand-in flower to try and get the birds in focus. This time it worked out well and I was able to use a remote trigger to capture with the camera on a tripod.
I was taking my son out for several nights in a row to try and find the Neowise Comet. Unfortunately he couldn’t find it, but I did manage to take some shots of the moon and had some fun being out with him. The best days to see the comet unfortunately ended up being some hazy days here in Eastvale, that made it really hard to see the comet in the night sky. I did manage to get this shot of the moon that I liked. I had my camera on the tripod using the 100-400 lens to take the shot.
I hung a hummingbird feeder in my backyard and have been steadily moving it closer to my door so that I can shoot the little buddies that are flying around. The first shot is when I first hung the feeder and the next ones are as I moved it closer to my door. I like being able to sit behind my camera on a tripod and shoot the birds while working at my desk. Gives me something to do during the day and I am in boring meetings. I’ve found the hummingbirds come in the morning and in the afternoon. They are really fun to watch as they come to eat.
I am having to make some changes to an object group in the Firesight management platform for my firewalls. Some of these changes required me to add and remove a 50-100 network entries at one time and doing it by hand was going to take a while and could also be prone to errors. I started to research the options for using the api interface for Firesight and came across this YouTube video from Cisco Devnet showing how to use the API Explorer built into firesight and showing how I could easily take and copy out a program so that I could build the object group very easily with a python script. So now I have taken what was started in the API Explorer and modifying it to pull the data out of my central address repository, format the data, and then build the script to run. You can see the in process script here.
I took my camera out in the early morning and found a place to shoot my car. Thought this was a good shot that I really liked, I used my platypod to get the camera low and do the leading lines up to the car. I has happy with how most of the shot came out and what it looked like.