pyenv on Mac OS 10.15 Catalina

I have been running pyenv from homebrew on Mac so I could run Python3 rather than 2.7. However when I upgraded to Catalina I ran into an issue that pyenv wasn’t working anymore. When I went through the GitHub page for pyenv at: pyenv and followed all of the steps and got to this part:

  • Add pyenv init to your shell to enable shims and autocompletion. Please make sure eval "$(pyenv init -)" is placed toward the end of the shell configuration file since it manipulates PATH during the initialization.$ echo -e ‘if command -v pyenv 1>/dev/null 2>&1; then\n eval “$(pyenv init -)”\nfi’ >> ~/.bash_profile
    • Zsh note: Modify your ~/.zshenv file instead of ~/.bash_profile.
    • fish note: Use pyenv init - | source instead of eval (pyenv init -).
    • Ubuntu and Fedora note: Modify your ~/.bashrc file instead of ~/.bash_profile.General warning: There are some systems where the BASH_ENV variable is configured to point to .bashrc. On such systems you should almost certainly put the abovementioned line eval "$(pyenv init -)" into .bash_profile, and not into .bashrc. Otherwise you may observe strange behaviour, such as pyenv getting into an infinite loop. See #264 for details.

.zshenv should actually be .zshrc

Upgrading Tippingpoint SMS to 3.5

Today I upgraded our SMS server for Tippingpoint to version 3.5. While this should have been a straight forward upgrade, it nevertheless wasn’t. First of all I had to upgrade to patch 7 of the 3.2 release so that I could supposedly easily make the upgrade to 3.5. I did that upgrade and didn’t have any problems with it However when I tried to use the automated upgrade within the SMS to 3.5 it kept downgrading itself to 3.2 without the patches. I looked through the release notes and couldn’t find anything about this except that there was no upgrade to 3.5 form anything below 3.3, so I tried a few more times to do the update with no success. Finally I just gave up and downloaded the 933Mb full install package from the TMC.tippingpoint.com website and ran the install from that. The install took about 10 minutes.

After letting the full install package run I then logged into the website for the SMS and was able to download the 32bit windows client, I was also pleasantly surprised to find that there is now a Mac OS X client. I loaded the mac client up and was able to login to my SMS with no problems. While I think the interface overall could use some usability enhancements, I was at least happy to find that it kept parity with the Windows version as far as features and functionality. This is now one less reason I need to keep a Windows box around if I can get a VIC client for vmware when 5.1 comes out then I will be extremely happy.

Zterm has been updated….

I have been using zterm on my mac for years and was upset to find that when I upgraded to Lion it wasn’t going to come with me. It is a simple no nonsense console utility that works well with my Keyspan USB to Serial adapter. After looking around though the author has updated it to be a universal binary which can be had here:

http://homepage.mac.com/dalverson/zterm/

Great application for a great platform. If you use it and you like it, flip the author some coffee money and let him know how much you like it.